Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Recipes to Lose Weight and Be Healthy

Several bulletin boards I belong to have people asking for recipes. I wondered why, since all you have to do I type " recipe" into Google and get a plethora of sites. Then I realized that sometimes Google can be too much of a good thing, and that if you aren't specific, you can easily get swamped.

So the first step in recipe hunting is to have a very specific idea of what you are looking for. I have found that Low Carb Recipes work best for my body. There was a time when I explored all sorts of ways of morphing old recipes into Low Carb ones, but now am back to taking the fresh ingredients and cooking them in ways which bring out their best flavors. I understand that this is a natural progression for most chefs ( and foodies). We love to get creative every now and then, but always return to the basics. One of the best sites on the internet for low carb support is www.lowcarber.org . If Low Carbing is your way of life then this should be a cornerstone of your internet experience.

But what about all the other Special Dietary Needs out there. And what about the mix of needs in one household? How can a busy housekeeper keep their sanity and create satisfying meals? It's true there are plenty of recipes out there. And plenty of packaged convenience junk! But how does the family cook make sense of it all?

My answer would be to do what I have done. Get back to basics. There are techniques which can be learned which will make life a lot easier. And food choices which are healthy, fast, flavourful, and inexpensive.


This is one of my passions , so expect to hear more detailed suggestions from me soon. For now, let me share what I made for dinner last night and posted to another forum. Mary only had 10 minutes to eat between getting home heading off to a meeting. She needed something easy to eat and satisfying, but not full of Carbs, which would put her to sleep half way through the three hours she had ahead of her. My answer was a Frittata with Broccoli and Jarlsburg, and Bacon slivers. This is a no brainer meal, but I will post a recipe in a separate post.

No comments: