Thursday, August 03, 2006

Senior Abuse?

I've got to get this out of my system. What kind of garbage are we dumping down the throats of our seniors and sick? Have you looked at the nutritional label on these meal supplement drinks that are universally recommended to our weakest loved ones? I just did and was shocked.

Here is the background story, and a solution I have found.

My spouse's father is battling cancer. Like many sick and elderly people he was losing weight and appetite. The doctors, and friends all recommended getting some Ensure to supplement his diet. And I will admit that I too thought it was a good idea. But then I started doing some looking around and found quite a few information sources who showed how cancer cells love sugar and that one powerful cancer fighting technique was to cut out the sugar. So out of curiosity I looked at the label on a can of Ensure and found that it is mostly sugar! I'm sure this can be said of many other brands, but Ensure is the one everybody around seems to buy.

I then tried to find out what other nutrient values it had, and am sorry to report that there wasn't much there. ( Please check this out for yourself) I felt that my recommendations were basically poisoning my Father-in-law. I had to find a better product. After more research I discovered that a greens formulation would give him outstanding nutrition in a condensed and easy to manage form. After all, a glass of greens may look a bit ugly, but it is easier than trying to munch down a tableful of food, or juice a basket of groceries.

But then I found out that green formulations are like most other things.......you get what you pay for.
I found one company who is quite fanatical about their quality. They make the Greens Plus product. However, it is a bit pricey, so I recommended it, but kept on looking. And I found an outstanding product sold by another name I trust; proHealth. I've told a bit of their story in another post. Their price is better, and you get the bonus of knowing you contribute to a great cause.

Here is a link to the product:
Ultimate Greens by proHealth
icon

Update: After a bit of a struggle because of the old " the doctor told me to take the Ensure" mentality, he tried it and found he actually like the flavor. Appetite and energy have improved as much as can be expected at this stage of health. As I have said... It is not how much time we have in this life; It is how much enjoyment we can squeeze out of it. This gives him the energy to wring out a few more drops.

I hope this story can help some of you out there. Sorry for being so long winded.

Colin


No comments: